This course is to provide first responders with the required competencies in analysing, planning and implementing the basic response (including medical counter measures) when confronted with a chemical warfare agent (CWA) in a live agent environment.
Students will gain an understanding of the basic principles for recognising and detecting CWA materials and tims and the means of dealing with it in a live agent environment.
This course requires the students to have a Chemical Safety Awareness course and, medical clearance from employer to wear personal protective equipment.
Study a CWA Agent incident to determine the magnitude of the problem in terms of outcome by the following:
- Knowledge on chemical and physical properties of CWA
- Identification of signs and symptoms of exposure to CWA
- Prediction of the potential behaviour of CWA
- First aid and medical countermeasures
- Planning the Response
- Identify and prepare the relevant equipment to perform hot zone entries
- Identify Health and Safety hazards and risks associated with hot zone activities
- Identify standard and non-standard decontamination materials
- Know the pros and cons of the different types of measuring techniques and instruments
- Identification of control zones